Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Eat...Mediterranean Kale with Halloumi

I mentioned on Monday that I would be cleaning up my act this week but of course that doesn't mean eating only plain, boring "health" food. It means eating wholesome, veggie fueled meals made at home. So today I stopped by Yek-o-Yek on Main St and picked up some halloumi cheese thinking it might make a nice "steak" to serve with the gorgeous organic greens in my fridge. If you haven't had halloumi before, it is a wonderfully salty firm cheese from the Mediterranean region that is unique because it actually holds up to frying. 


I like using lacinato kale because I prefer its softer texture and milder flavour. And even if you don't like greens, give this a try. My husband, who merely tolerates greens, actually took a second helping. I then picked my jaw up off the floor and continued eating my delicious dinner.


Recipe


Mediterranean Kale with Halloumi Steaks


This recipe is so quick, it is absolutely weeknight dinner material. By the time the quinoa finishes cooking, dinner is done. And you think you don't have time to cook.


1 cup    quinoa
2 cups  water
Pinch    thyme
1 piece lemon rind


1 tbsp    extra virgin olive oil
1 large  sweet onion (I used a Walla Walla...love saying that!), thinly sliced
1 clove  garlic, minced
1/4         serrano pepper, minced 
1 bunch lacinato kale, shredded, stalks chopped and reserved
Pinch    salt, to taste
Remaining lemon rind, zested


1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
250 grams halloumi cheese, sliced in 3 or 4 pieces...for 3 or 4 people


Juice of lemon


First, prepare the quinoa: place quinoa and water in pot (rinse quinoa first if not pre-rinsed) with thyme and lemon rind. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 15 minutes.


While the quinoa cooks, saute the onion and the kale stalks in olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Add serrano pepper, garlic and stir. Add remaining kale and saute over medium heat until glossy and wilted while searing the halloumi. Stir occasionally as halloumi cooks.


After you add the kale, heat the remaining olive oil in another pan to medium high heat. Place halloumi in pan and allow to caramelize, about 3 minutes a side.


When quinoa is finished, serve by scooping quinoa onto plate; top with kale and place halloumi on top of kale. Finish with a drizzle of lemon juice.


Serves 3-4


Enjoy!
Desiree


PS...where is the luscious food shot? Given my terrible photog skills, the photo didn't look half as delicious as the food tasted. Thought I would spare you :)

2 comments:

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

Halloumi is one of those things on my "must try" list - probably because it's cheese, but I'm also intrigued by the whole searing thing. Not sure if I can get any out here in the 'burbs, but perhaps once I'm back to commuting to the big city, I can stop into one of the Greek grocers on the way home and try out your recipe :)

PS - love the make over of your blog. I need to find some time to sit down and overhaul my own.

Unknown said...

For some reason, not many grocers carry halloumi but it should be as common as feta. It is divine. Can't wait to hear what you think when you try it out!