Thursday, April 28, 2011

Backyard Chickens? Try Wild...Kauai

On the prowl...
Just back from the gorgeous island of Kauai....


One of the first things I noted when reading the guide book on Kauai was that chickens were wild all over the island. I thought to myself, "I wonder if I will get to see any of the wild chickens?". Hah! Sure I saw them, they are EVERYWHERE! Roosters prowling the shops for some new duds, sketchy hens caging out the parking lot for cars to boost and surfer chicks scanning the horizon for waves. 


All over the island were signs pleading with you not to feed the feral chickens (and cats too, although I didn't see that many kittys). My husband chatted briefly about the chickens to a local; most memorable quote? "Yah...we don't eat 'em. Too gamey. Not good for much other than roadkill."


Why did the chicken cross the road? Cuz he thought the dude in the truck would stop for him.


Lots of posts on the local food to come when the baby jet lag wears off and I get some sleep!
Desiree

No comments: